Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pow Sing Restaurant (James)

Located at Serangoon Gardens on serangoon garden way, Pow Sing Restaurant is hard to miss at night with its brightly illuminated sign, it detracts from most other things in Serangoon Gardens. if not that then the potentially large lines outside on a Saturday night. i don't know why, but that was the case last time i was there. 5 minute wait for the table! that wasnt me complaining, I think any place that has a wait has to be good or filled with models or something along those lines.

Although definitely one of the most expensive places we've reviewed (first occassion: $6 each for chicken rice for two. Second Occasion: $10 each for 6 with a whole chicken) it definitely offers something different to the local hawker. One such thing is service. Don't get me wrong, i'm not some lazy ang mo, i love getting my own food, but it is after all a restaurant. One example of excellent service tonight was when the chicken rice man saw me struggling to get the sauces from the chicken plate. now I must remind you that this was a whole chicken, and quite heavy. Anyway, in light of this he bought me over a bowl of the sauce. I wish all chicken rice places offered this blend of sesame and soya sauce (or so Pirom says) as an extra for your meal, but thats just me. and that in my books was quality service.

Now down the the real business of chicken rice. As the pictures show there is a wide variety of sauces on display. Personally this is not a significant factor for me. as long as you get some chilli, and as an added bonus some of the special sauce, I'm happy. As one of the only people involved with this blog i can testify to the fact it is consistent. I've now been their twice and on both occassions not only has the chicken been very nice and succulent, but the rice is very nice. not too soggy and not to puffed up, just at a level which leaves you satisfied and wanting another plate of rice alone, as Kieran and I found. Pirom would have felt the same but we had alot for lunch. Didn't stop me though.

Ultimately it's hard to find much to complain about with regards to Pow Sing. The rice is steaming hot and the chicken is very nice indeed. Even the condiments were nice, well the chilli. Service was nice as well, with a friendly staff. The only real drawback is the price, which can be a bit steep for an 18 year old in Singapore who is presented with chicken rice almost every day, at least during the holidays as sad as that may be, and I'm ashamed to say it. Although it's not really fair to talk this up given it's an actual restaurant. Overall I'd give Pow Sing 8.5 Heads. Some may say this is harsh but I'm just waiting for that perfect chicken rice to come along which scores the 10 so for the time being I'm leaving it as this. and I'm also sorry about not having my head up yet, I still need my heads delivered, as wierd as that may sound.
(Thanks Pirom)

Anyway, for now goodnight and happy chicken rice eating. BTW we really need a slogan cause the one I just said was shocking.